Pipes are best shortened with the right pipe cutter. In this article, we explain what to look for when purchasing and how to choose the right and suitable pipe cutter. We will do this in three steps.
- First, we will explain the most important purchasing criteria.
- For those who want to have an overview of popular pipe cutters, we have compared popular pipe cutters in easy-to-read tables.
- Lastly, we will present a selection of pipe cutters in a little more detail
What should I look for when buying a pipe cutter?
Not every pipe cutter fits every material!
For a clean cut, the pipe cutter must be suitable for the pipe material. Plastic pipes may even be easier to cut with a pipe shear. In our comparison, we have of course also indicated for which materials the respective pipe cutter is suitable. The blade plays an important role here.
- Most pipe cutters are equipped with a round blade. This can be used to cut hard materials precisely and reliably. Attention: Not every round blade is suitable for stainless steel. Due to the particularly high hardness, not every pipe cutter can handle this material. Plastics are not every worker’s friend either. Therefore, eyes open when choosing!
- Knife blades are particularly suitable for softer materials, i.e. plastics. In principle, pipe cutters with knife blades are specially manufactured scissors. Easy and quick to use.
- A special type are pipe cutters with a chain blade. This space-saving solution is designed for use in confined environments. In principle, this type of blade is suitable for all the above materials.
How big should it be?
Of course, not every pipe cutter is suitable for every diameter. In addition to the material, the maximum pipe diameter also plays a decisive role. But beware! Not only the maximum diameter is important! You should also ask yourself what minimum diameter you want to cut. Not every pipe cutter is capable of cutting through diameters of 3 or 6 millimeters.
Also pay attention to the cutting depth!
Each pipe has the strength that it needs. To ensure that the pipe can be cut through completely, the blade or knife must cut deep enough into the material.
This cutting depth is determined by the radius of the circular blade. The larger the radius, the greater the depth of the cut. This also applies to the chain blade, whose individual small round blades limit the cutting depth. Knife blades are pushed completely through the plastic tube. Therefore, the cutting depths of knife blades are much greater.
To be on the safe side, the pipe cutter should have a cutting depth of at least 2 millimeters. Most of the pipes have a smaller thickness.
Would you like a new blade?
Of course, if the blade dulls over time, then it is convenient if you can replace it. This feature is also included in our comparison.
Last, but not least – How much power do you need?
With manual pipe cutters, the geometry determines how much force is required for cutting. Pipe cutters with a threaded rod have good prerequisites. By turning the threaded rod, similar to a screw cap, the round blade is pressed into the tube.
Typically, but not always, pipe cutters with knife blades have worse preconditions because the force must be applied directly via a lever (as with scissors).
Those who prefer to follow the lead of other buyers will find a good selection among the pipe cutter bestsellers.
Comparison of pipe cutters for plastic pipes
Comparison of electric battery pipe cutters
Not crucial but interesting, the design of the pipe cutter
As already mentioned, stainless steel pipes are very hard. Therefore, the pipe must be well fixed when cutting. Pipe cutters for stainless steel pipes have a kind of integrated screw clamp with which the pipe is held. The handle is used to press the round blade into the tube via a thread. The cutter is rotated around the tube via the rollers.
6 PopularPipe Cutters in Portrait
KNIPEX Pipe Cutter 94 10 185 – A top dog among cutters for plastic pipes
The KNIPEX pipe cutter is designed for cutting plastic pipes. The pipe shear fits comfortably in the hand despite its weight of 583 grams. It can be used to cut plastic pipes and rubber hoses simply and easily. The use is intuitive and simple. If necessary, the knife of the KNIPEX pipe shears can be replaced with little effort.
Tubes or hoses with a diameter of 6 to 35 millimeters can be cut. This makes this pipe cutter suitable for the most common applications.
- Zum gratfreien Schneiden von dünnwandigen Kunststoffrohren (z. B. Kunststoff-Panzerrohre) mit Ø 6 - 35 mm
- Nicht zum Kabelschneiden geeignet
- Messer austauschbar und aus jeder Position zurückholbar
- Geringer Kraftaufwand durch spezielle Schneidengeometrie und optimale Übersetzung
- Ermüdungsarmes Arbeiten durch ergonomische Griffgestaltung und schrittweisen Messervorschub
Interested in other cutting machines for craftsmen?In unserer Übersicht von Schneidemaschinen für handwerkliche Tätigkeiten, finden Sie wonach Sie suchen!
Preise inkl. MwSt., zzgl. Versandkosten / Letzte Aktualisierung am 2023-01-29 at 02:14 / Affiliate Links / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API