Do I better take a lever or roller cutter? If you want to buy a paper cutting machine, you have to make a decision. As a small decision-making aid, we have summarized the advantages and disadvantages of these paper cutters. In addition, we present alternatives for all with special requirements.
Lever or roller cutter? The most important facts at a glance
Is the lever or roller cutter better?
This question cannot be answered equally for everyone. The use case is of great importance for answering this question. Lever cutters are usually better suited for tasks in the office. Roller cutters, on the other hand, when crafting and cropping photos.
However, the individual advantages and disadvantages of roller and lever cutting machines also have different effects depending on the quality of the machine and its field of application. Thus, a robust roller cutter is quite capable of achieving similar cutting heights, which are possible with a lever cutter. With the same quality and a comparable price, lever cutting machines have higher cutting heights. The following advantages and disadvantages have lever and roller cutters in comparison.
Advantages of the roller cutting machine / roller cutter
- Ideal for crafting and precise cutting
- High safety due to the closed cutting head
- Ideal for hobby and decoration work, as different cut shapes are possible (waves, zigzag, perforation, …)
- Small sizes (photos, maps) can be edited very well
- A self-sharpening blade ensures long-lasting clean cut
- Comparatively cheap to purchase for hobby applications
- Already sufficiently precise for many low-cost products
Roller cutting machines Bestseller
Disadvantages of the roller cutting machine / roller cutter
- For the roll to run clean and straight, a high quality and a stable construction is necessary
- Tends to have lower cutting heights compared to lever cutting machines
- Roller cutters, in which the blade is guided on the paper, tend to cause the knife to shift. This can create unwanted wavy lines.
Advantages of lever cutters / lever cutting machines
- Ideal for high stacks or long cuts
- Comparatively high cutting height
- Suitable for a wide range of materials
- Low effort required
- Precise even for thin materials
- The robust blades have a long service life
Disadvantages Lever cutter / lever cutting machine
- Simple models are already quite cheap, but precise and robust lever cutting machines are more expensive
- The costs for large cutting lengths increase quickly, as the blade must be correspondingly long
- The blade does not grind itself down, which is why the blade has to be replaced or re-ground when used intensively
- A high level of safety is only achieved through appropriate protective devices that cause higher costs
- No decorative cutting scuts are possible with lever cutting machines
Lever cutting machines Bestseller
Alternatives to lever and roller cutters
The following alternatives to roller and lever cutters are available:
The simplest and most popular alternative to the presented paper cutters is the scissors. One advantage of this simple tool is the flexibility of cutting. Individual simple shapes can be cut very quickly and easily. In addition, scissors are very cheap to have. The big drawback of scissors is that you can only cut one sheet at a time. In addition, accuracy depends heavily on your own skill. Those who tinker or tailor will always need a suitable pair of scissors.
Roller cutter and cutter
Roller cutters and cutters offer basically the same advantages and disadvantages as scissors. They can also be used to flexibly cut paper, photos and fabric.
In contrast to scissors, the material must always be positioned on the table for cutting.
- Für Patchwork- und Quiltarbeiten und andere NäharbeitenFür Patchwork- und Quiltarbeiten und andere Näharbeiten
- Millimetergenauer Zuschnitt von 4 bis 8 Lagen Stoff
- Vorwärts und rückwärts verwendbar
- Geeignet für Rechts- und Linkshänder
Cutting plotters are interesting for those who want to cut a wide variety of patterns from paper or adhesive films. The great advantage of cutting plotters is that any shape can be cut out. The shapes on the display or computer are defined. The cutting plotter takes care of the rest. The most popular plotting devices include the Silhouette Cameo* and Brother ScanNCut CM600*.
Best-selling cutting plotters
Cutting height – A comparison between lever and roller cutting machines
An important criterion for choosing the right paper cutting machine is the cutting height. The cutting height, in addition to the quality of the blade or knife, determines how many sheets can be cut in one operation. Lever and roller cutters differ significantly here. The roller cutting machines we examined have cutting heights between 0.2 and 2 millimeters (Dahle 552). In contrast, the cutting heights of the lever cutters range from 0.5 to 4 millimeters. If you intend to cut very few sheets at once, then it is worth taking a closer look at both types of paper cutting machines. However, if cutting heights are to be more than two millimetres, then lever cutters are clearly at an advantage here.
Price per cutting capacity and number of sheets
Of course, it is also interesting how a higher cutting height affects the price of the cutting machine. In our comparison, the price for roller cutting machines with a cutting height of 1mm is in the range of 15 and 25 euros. Lever cutters with this cutting height are available between 20 and 30 euros.
Since the different manufacturers do not always use the units in the information, we have applied the following rule for our research. The number of sheets is ten times the value of the cutting height. This means, for example, that a cutting height of 0.5 millimeters gives the number of sheets 5. If the manufacturer has only specified the number of sheets, then we have calculated the cutting height accordingly. Thus, the number of sheets 20 results in a cutting height of 1 millimeter. We did not distinguish between different leaf thicknesses.
The ratio between the maximum number of sheets and the price is shown in the following figure.
Up to a number of twelve sheets are relatively cheap roller cutting machines. For 20 sheets you have to go deeper into your wallet.
The price range for lever cutters is as follows.
For better comparability, we have listed all researched roller cutting machines in the following table. This allows you to conveniently select the paper cutting machine that has the right cutting height. Below we list further advantages and disadvantages of the different cutting machines.
|Rollenschneider||Schnitt-höhe||Blatt-anzahl||ca. Preis*||DIN||Mehr Infos|
|Olympia Vario Duplex 4000||0,3mm||3||16,99€||A4||Ansehen*|
|Hama Easy Cut R 320||0,5mm||5||17,69€||A4||Ansehen*|
|Fellowes Foto-Rollenschneidemaschine Neutrino||0,5mm||5||13,49€||A4||Ansehen*|
|Fiskars Personal SureCut||0,5mm||5||33€||A4||Ansehen*|
|Kaiser Fototechnik hobby cut 4||0,6mm||6||43,94€||A3||Ansehen*|
|Zoomyo ProCut 2.1||1mm||10||24,9€||A4||Ansehen*|
Correspondingly a table for the lever cutters.
|Hebelschneider||Schnitt-höhe||Blatt-anzahl||ca. Preis*||DIN||Mehr Infos|
|Olympia Vario Duplex 4000||0,5mm||5||16,99€||A4||Ansehen*|
|Rexel ClasicCut CL100||1,5mm||15||79,49€||A4||Ansehen*|
|Olympia G 4415||1,5mm||15||77,99€||A3||Ansehen*|
|Zoomyo ProCut 2.1||1mm||10||24,9€||A4||Ansehen*|
|Peach Hebelschneider - PC300-01||1mm||10||29,94€||A4||Ansehen*|
|Olympia G 3310||1mm||10||23,99€||A4||Ansehen*|
|Maped HebelSchneidemaschine Expert||4mm||40||€114,25||A4||Ansehen*|
Preise inkl. MwSt., zzgl. Versandkosten / Letzte Aktualisierung am 2022-01-21 at 13:43 / Affiliate Links / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API